About Oftec Oil approved engineers

Why you should choose an OFTEC registered technician

Whether you are selecting a technician to give your oil boiler, cooker or stove its annual service, or planning a much bigger project – a home extension or conversion of your heating to run on oil – you will want to ensure that you employ the best person for the job.

You need an experienced technician who has been trained on modern, highefficiency appliances, who can give you sound advice when necessary, and whom you can trust to carry out the work properly. In short, you need an OFTEC Registered technician. There’s a simple way to avoid the risk of falling victim to a ‘cowboy’ operator. Before you ask a technician to call, enquire if he or she is OFTEC Registered (and if not, why not?)

OFTEC Registered Technicians:

  • Are individually trained at an OFTEC Approved Training Centre, and their skills independently assessed before they can apply for OFTEC Registration
  • Have their work inspected from time to time by an OFTEC Inspector
  • Are re-assessed every five years to maintain their Registration
  • Carry an identity card confirming the type of oil heating work for which they are registered
  • Have to hold appropriate insurance to work in your home
  • Are able (in England and Wales) to self-certify work for which they are Registered. This saves you time and money, as non-Registered technicians must, by law, notify Local Authority Building Control, or submit plans when installing oil-fired appliances
  • Will leave with you a written statement of the work they have done on your appliance, replacement parts fitted and recommendations for work needed in the future.

You can find details of OFTEC Registered Technicians in your area on www.oftec.org or by phoning OFTEC on 0845 65 85 080.


produced courtesy of Oil Firing Technical Association Foxwood House, Dobbs Lane, Kesgrave, Ipswich IP5 2QQ
Telephone 0845 65 85 080 Fax 0845 65 85 181
E-mail enquiries@oftec.org

Check an OFTEC registration